Trucks require high compressor power to run smoothly. And if it is a Ford F350 Diesel truck, it needs high-voltage power as it is a heavy-duty vehicle.
To ensure its highest performance, you need to make sure that you are using the correct battery. But, which one is the best battery for Ford F350 Diesel?
The best ones always come with a few exceptional features that help them perform in the way the vehicles need them. The need to have enough power must be compatible with the truck and of the proper size. Luckily, I’ve found a few such Ford F350 batteries, and that’s what I’ll be discussing today.
In a Hurry? Check Recommended Top Pick
If you are short of time, you can still take a look at my top pick. It is the Optima RedTop Battery and known for its heavy-duty performance. It has an 800 cold-cranking power and 100 minutes reserve capacity. These features allow it to keep going without a break at the lowest temperature. It also takes only 4-6 hours to be fully charged, which makes it more convenient.
Top Rated Ford F350 Battery Comparison Table
|Optima RedTop Starting Battery||
||Check on Amazon|
|Optima YellowTop Dual Purpose Battery||
||Check on Amazon|
|ODYSSEY PC680 Battery, red top||
||Check on Amazon|
|ACDelco Hybrid Vehicle AGM Battery||
||Check on Amazon|
|Delphi BU9065 MaxStart AGM Battery||
||Check on Amazon|
Top 5 Best Battery for Ford F350 Diesel Reviews
1. Optima RedTop Starting Battery
If you ask anyone to pick a reliable Ford F350 Diesel battery, the Optima RedTop is the first thing anyone will suggest to you. And from my experience, I will tell you to trust them. This heavy-duty truck battery is designed to perform with the best power for any such vehicle.
- Power: This battery consists of 12-volt power. It also has 800 cold cranking power. That means this battery is powerful enough to carry loads even in the most frigid weather.
- Reserve Capacity: Batteries with low reserve capacity require frequent charging. It is not only a charging hassle, but it also takes up lots of your time. However, this Optima model comes with a 100 minutes reserve capacity, which means less hassle when riding.
- Low-Maintenance: The Optima RedTop is 100% spill-proof. It means you will be required to go through less maintenance. Still, it is safer to keep an eye on the battery.
- Adaptable: This battery is designed to fit more than just the F350 model. And no matter which one you use it in, it can adapt really fast. Moreover, it has 15 times more vibration resistance capacity than most batteries.
- Performs excellently in the coldest weather
- Requires almost zero maintenance
- Excellent cranking power and reserve capacity
- Easy to set up
- Takes less time to charge fully
- Comparatively expensive
- Less durable
2. Optima YellowTop Dual Purpose Battery
I know you must be wondering why I have added one more batter from Optima that looks exactly the same. Now, hold on! There are a few differences between these two. Nevertheless, both batteries come with eco-friendly features and optimize vehicle power.
- Cold Cranking: Having a high cold cranking power helps the vehicle go smoothly in cold weather. The YellowTop Optima battery has a 780 cranking power to help you go through that without any interruption.
- User-Friendly: If you are a starter, you won’t have to go through much trouble placing this battery. You can set it up virtually in any direction. Furthermore, it requires less maintenance, saving lots of your time.
- Deep-Cycle: While the RedTop battery has a 100-minute reserve cycle, the YellowTop model has that of 120-minute. That means you can go driving even further with this battery power.
- Extended Warranty: Despite being among the most reliable vehicle batteries, the Optima models come with a lesser warranty period. On top of that, the price can be a downside. But, regular checkups on the battery can help extend its durability and performance.
- Less charging interruption during rides
- Strong battery and case material to avoid any damage or spill
- Suitable for freezing weather
- Deep cycling capacity
- Can power multiple items at a time
- Easy setup
- Less durable
Optima YellowTop Dual Purpose Battery Video Review
3. ODYSSEY PC680 Red Top Battery
Odyssey isn’t an unheard name when it comes to truck batteries. If you have looked through the comparison table, this model may not look much. But wait till you find out why I picked it for the best battery for Ford F350 Diesel.
- Cranking And Reserve Capacity: If you are not planning for long trips, the Odyssey PC680 is a suitable choice. It has a 170 CCA and a 24-minute reserve capacity. It is enough to take a short trip without needing to charge the battery frequently.
- Extended Service: Though it comes with a short 2-year warranty, you are still getting an extended service offer. Odyssey offers 3-10 years of service to its customers, saving them money and time.
- Fast Charging: Unlike low-quality truck batteries, this one takes less time to recharge. It takes only 4-6 hours to charge the battery fully.
- Budget-friendly price
- Easy to install
- Comparatively lightweight
- Manufacturer provides long-term service
- Some customers complained about not receiving the L terminal adapters.
Top Rated ODYSSEY Red Top Battery Reviews
4. ACDelco ACDB24R Hybrid Vehicle AGM Battery
This is another affordable Ford F350 Diesel truck battery. It is robust, durable, and among the first choices of professionals.
- Professional Choice: Every professional driver wants something high-performing with a better fit and features. This ACDelco ACDB24R is a complete package with all those qualities.
- Price: If you are worried about the cost, ACDelco will ensure the price is affordable.
- Leak-Proof: The battery is leak-proof, and it ensures its reliability. Moreover, it comes with a 24-months warranty.
- Self-Discharge: This battery has a self-discharge system. It happens between the electrolyte and the battery plate materials. So you need to store it away from the heat source.
- Affordable price
- Extended durability
- Made for professional use as well
- Suitable for cold weather condition
Some batteries will offer you more. But with that price, this model of ACDelco provides you with precisely what you are paying.
5. Delphi BU9065 MaxStart AGM Battery
Lastly, I have the Delphi BU9065 MaxStart AGM Battery. I don’t know if you are familiar with this brand, but it is an underrated model with excellent quality and features.
- Vibration Resistance: The vibration when a vehicle kick starts is often irritating. But the Delphi MaxStart will resist any such vibration 20 times more than any other truck battery.
- Premium Quality: This battery’s absorbed glass mat technology provides it with a longer life cycle. Besides, the material is corrosion-free and spill-proof.
- Compatibility: Its 750 cold cranking and 150-minute reserve capacity make it compatible with more than just the Ford F350 truck. You can also power other vehicle electronics with this battery.
- Powerful battery with heavy-duty compatibility
- An excellent life-cycle
- Requires less frequent recharging
- Well-built shell is spill-proof
- Can power multiple vehicle electronics
- Comparatively less durable
How To Choose The Best Battery For Ford F350 Diesel?
A Ford F350 is a high-performing and robust vehicle. So, when you choose a battery for this powerful vehicle, you have to select it with caution. The right one will boost the power even more. But the wrong one can create a big mess.
There are factors like battery size, compatibility, cold cranking power, charging capacity, casing, durability, price, and more. Everything has to be in a particular order and measure. My experience has made me observe what is needed to ensure finding the best F350 battery. And this following buying guide is based on that.
Batteries always come in a particular group of sizes. The size includes height, width, and length. If you somehow end up with the wrong size, it will either be completely useless or damage the vehicle fast.
For Ford F350 Diesel, the ideal battery size ranges between 34-65 AGM. However, batteries with 35 AGM are a suitable choice.
The Ford F350 Diesel battery size and compatibility go side by side. If the battery isn’t compatible with your vehicle, then what’s the point?
A compatible battery will survive the vehicle system and riding pressure while still offering its best performance. Having batteries that do not adjust with your truck system will only make things worse.
How fast can the battery kick when you start the vehicle in extreme or cold temperatures? That is your truck battery’s cranking power. It is also known as cold cranking amperage or CCA. This feature is essential if you are living or riding in low-temperature conditions.
The lower the temperature, the higher the CCA battery your vehicle will need. It is measured by zero degrees, and the best amperage for low-temperature places should be around 500 CCA.
Usually, an F350 model’s battery should hold 12 volts of charge. It allows the vehicle to ride for up to 8-16 hours, depending on its size and load capacity.
Almost all vehicle batteries have specific power and charging capacity. You should go with the one with maximum capacity. And the battery should be the one that can be charged in 5-6 hours.
The casing is the cover that shields or protects the battery from damages or leakage. It ensures safety so that nothing goes wrong. That’s why it is necessary to pay attention to the battery casing.
In this case, pay attention to the casing materials. Also, check the casing joints. If it has premium-quality material with well-finished joints, it should be the one.
When you want the best of something, durability comes as a part of every single feature in it. If the battery is compatible or has higher amperage, suitable casing material, reliability, and an excellent charging capacity, it will be durable.
So, the durability depends on the overall quality and performance of the battery. The price also matters in this regard. Look for those qualities mentioned above in a battery that fits your budget.
Reliability is something challenging to guarantee. It is the trust linked among the manufacturers, sellers, and buyers. Nowadays, you will find low-priced models of almost every type of product. But not all of them are reliable for your truck.
However, if you follow the buying procedure keeping this buying guide in mind, you can quickly crack the battery buying code. My small tip would be to go through the manufacturer’s website to check the features and make sure the product is reliable.
Top Battery for Ford F350 Diesel Video Review
Types Of Diesel Batteries
You will find two kinds of diesel batteries:
- Absorbable Gas Mat Batteries (AGM)
- Lead-Based Batteries
1. Absorbable Gas Mat Batteries (AGM)
In the 80s, AGM batteries gained immense popularity and were used in almost every vehicle. Nowadays, you will find them in heavy-duty trucks as well. The reason AGM batteries gained popularity is because of the two types of work it does. It offers a cold-cranking system and also helps the vehicle run for a long time.
There is an electrolyte formula between the battery plates, which improves efficiency. AGM batteries are maintenance-free. And they do not need any watering service. Besides, they are eco-friendly and recyclable.
2. Lead-Based Batteries
Lead-based batteries are also known as lead-acid batteries. This type of battery is most common in diesel trucks. They may look like AGM batteries in appearance. But, their functions are very different from each other.
This battery’s electricity is stored with acid formula lead. Adding distilled water can help get a robust outcome out of the batteries. The gel used in the batteries can be an issue during cold weather. That is why these batteries are more suitable for warm weather.
What Happens if you Put the Wrong Size Battery
As mentioned earlier, Diesel truck batteries come in a particular group of sizes. Not all sizes are meant to fit all types of vehicles. If the batteries are oversized or undersized, it can create multiple issues. Here is why you should never use the wrong size battery.
The first thing a wrong size battery tends to do is cause alternator failure. This is where overcharging and undercharging happen.
If you use a small-sized battery, the alternator will fail to draw enough pressure to power up your truck. But it will keep trying to pull the power, which will make its system collapse at some point.
And if you use an oversized battery, it will have more power than your truck requires. It means the alternation will keep the battery charged without any interruption. Due to excessive power, the alternator is likely to fail.
Batteries affect the vehicle’s accessories as well. So, when the battery size turns out to be wrong, the accessories do not receive the voltage they need.
The large batteries will cause power overflow, whereas the undersized ones will not provide them with enough flow. Thus, such issues lead to short circuits or circuit failures.
Effect On Cranking Power
Cranking power is one of the essential features when purchasing a Ford F350 Diesel truck battery. The right-sized battery kick starts the vehicle much faster, whereas the wrong size will only delay it.
Besides, a small-sized battery will fail to produce enough power that the vehicle needs to run at the lowest temperature. They are not compatible with warm weather either. Thus, using this type of battery will affect the starting of your truck.
Affects Trip And Less Durable
Small-sized batteries are not meant for long-distance. They are only for short trips where you won’t have to charge them frequently.
When you use small-sized batteries and keep charging them to make long-distance trips, it will only reduce the battery’s durability. So, the battery can end up dying after only months of use.
Frequently Asked Questions About Diesel Battery
How Long Does A Diesel Truck Battery Last?
It depends on several things, such as the brand, material, cranking power, etc. The weather condition you drive your truck in is also an essential factor in the battery’s life expectancy.
Nevertheless, a good-quality diesel truck battery tends to last 5-7 years. And if it is well-maintained, sometimes, it can last as long as 8-9 years. Only the batteries going through icy weather conditions tend to last shorter than usual.
Do I Need More Than One Battery For My Diesel Truck?
You can run your Ford F350 Diesel truck with one 12V battery. An oversized battery often helps to crank enough power. However, it may not be the case for all Diesel trucks.
If the weather is too cold or the truck is overloaded, one battery will not be enough. This is the reason you should opt for two batteries. It is more like an extra precaution in case of any unexpected situations.
What Is The Best Year Model For A Ford F350 Diesel Truck?
If you are talking about a used Ford F350 Diesel truck, then models from 2013 and onward will do. But I advise you to avoid the 2017 models because those models had a lot of steering issues.
What Is Between A Red Top and A Yellow Top battery?
The red and yellow tops indicate two different things. The red tops mean the battery is to provide your vehicle with maximum energy power. On the other hand, yellow tops mean these batteries will offer better performance and have extended durability.
What Are The Signs Of A Bad Diesel Truck Battery?
There are multiple ways to identify a bad truck battery. If not noticed or taken care of in time, a bad battery can lead to mild malfunction to disastrous situations. So look for the following signs.
- The truck will take time to start or won’t start at all.
- The headlights will go dim.
- Cranking will take more time.
- Your vehicle will backfire.
- There will be a clicking sound when you turn the key.
Are AGM Batteries Environment-Friendly?
Yes, AGM batteries are 99% environmentally friendly, and almost all of the battery is recyclable. These batteries contain acid, fiberglass, and plastic shells.
These materials can be saved. The only downsides of these batteries are that they have linings that are not eco-friendly.
What Causes Leakage Of Diesel Truck Batteries?
Some batteries are often prone to leakage. It occurs when the acid starts leaking out of the battery, which can happen for two reasons.
- The battery is overcharged
- The battery is damaged
You must charge the batteries for a specific amount of time. If overcharged, the acid will come out. The same thing can happen if the batteries suffer from any physical damage. If either of these two things happens, you need to get the batteries checked and changed, if required.
How to Install Battery for Ford F350 Diesel
If you want to buy a battery for your Ford F350, why not buy the best battery for Ford F350 Diesel? Every battery that comes for this vehicle is heavy-duty, reliable, and, most of the time, maintenance-free.
And if you are still curious to know what else I would recommend other than the Optima RedTop Battery, I would name the Odyssey PC680 Red Top Battery. It is robust, comes with an extended service offer, and the price is also affordable. You can also check out the Delphi BU9065 MaxStart AGM Battery for powerful performance.
Leave a Reply