Have you ever witnessed a sight on the roads where an SUV or any vehicle has a trailer trailing behind them but in a funny way? I say funny because that’s what it looks like to many of us. But the movement is both hectic and dangerous. Many highway accidents happen because of a swaying trailer.
But, how can one prevent it? Here, controlling the sway is the key. So, the only way to avoid such a thing from happening is to use the best trailer sway control kit.
The problem is, you cannot just go to the store to buy a random sway control kit. There are many of them, and not all of them will fit your vehicle or have enough capacity to carry the load. You might even not know where to start from.
If that’s what brought you here, I’ve got you covered. Today I’ll talk about some of my best picks, along with a buying guide and more.
In a Hurry? Check Our Top Pick!
Today I’ve ended up with two best picks. It is because both of them come from the very same brand. And I will tell you why. Both EAZ Lift 48068 1,200 lbs Elite Kit and EAZ Lift 0224.2014 Trailer Sway Control Kit have one difference.
One comes with both weight distribution hitch and sway control kit, while the other is the kit only. And both of them are popular for their performance and reliability. My experience with them is nothing but full of awe.
The 1,200 lbs TW allows you to carry around 12,000 pounds weight on your trailer without any issue. And if you want to go with the sway kit only, that would still protect your trailer from getting into trouble even during crosswind.
Table of Contents
- 1 Top Rated Trailer Sway Control Comparison Table
- 2 Top 10 Best Trailer Sway Control Kit Reviews 2021
- 3 1. EAZ LIFT 48069 1200 lbs Elite Kit
- 4 EAZ LIFT 48059 1,200 lbs Elite Kit Review and Installation Process
- 5 2. EAZ LIFT Screw-On Sway Control Kits
- 6 3. Pro Series Reese Kit with Sway Control
- 7 4. Camco Chem ReCurve Kit With Adjustable Sway Control
- 8 5. Husky 37498 Left-Handed Adjustable Sway Control Kit
- 9 6. CURT 17200 Trailer Anti-Sway Bar Control Kit
- 10 7. CURT 17063 Hitch with Sway Control
- 11 CURT Trailer Sway Control/Weight Distribution Hitch Review
- 12 8. Fastway e2 Sway Control Round Bar Hitch
- 13 9. Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control Hitch
- 14 10. Blue Ox BXW1000 SWAYPRO Weight Distributing Hitch
- 15 Best Trailer Sway Control Kit Buying Guide
- 16 Load Capacity
- 17 Sway Control
- 18 Ease Of Installation
- 19 Ease Of Use
- 20 Safety
- 21 Durability
- 22 Cost
- 23 Types Of Sway Control
- 24 FAQ’s About Trailer Sway Control Kit
- 25 Do I Need A Trailer Sway Control?
- 26 How Would I Know If The Trailer Is Overloaded?
- 27 How Much Trailer Sway Is Normal?
- 28 Can I Reduce Trailer Sway Without A Sway Control?
- 29 How to Install Trailer Sway Control Kit (DIY Video)
- 30 Final Verdict
Top Rated Trailer Sway Control Comparison Table
|EAZ LIFT 48059 1,200 lbs Elite Kit||
|View on Amazon|
|EAZ LIFT 0224.2014 Screw-On Sway Control||
||View on Amazon|
|Reese Pro 49903 Weight Distribution Kit||
||View on Amazon|
|Camco Eaz-Lift ReCurve R6 Weight Distributing||
||View on Amazon|
|Husky 37498 Left Handed Sway Control Kit||
||View on Amazon|
|CURT 17200 Trailer Anti-Sway Bar Control Kit||
||View on Amazon|
|CURT 17063 Round Bar Weight Distribution Hitch||
||View on Amazon|
|Fastway e2 2-Point Sway Control Round Bar||
||View on Amazon|
|Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control Hitch||
||View on Amazon|
|Blue Ox BXW1000 SWAYPRO Weight Distributing||
||View on Amazon|
Top 10 Best Trailer Sway Control Kit Reviews 2021
There are many sway control kits out there. Some of them come with weight distribution hitches only. But many of them come separately as well. And then there are weight limits and sway control processes. To sum up, it’s a challenging ride for anyone to find a suitable kit.
But you do not need to look here and there aimlessly. The following reviews are of some well-known and high-performing sway control kits and hitches to help you choose the one you need.
1. EAZ LIFT 48069 1200 lbs Elite Kit
- Weight Capacity: This EAZ Lift 48068 model has a maximum of 1200 TW. It means it can lift 12,000 pounds.
- Universal Fit: Yes, this hitch comes with a universal fit sway control kit, which means it will fit any vehicle. And with that solid steel material, lifting will be less complicated.
- Easier Installation: A completely unassembled sway control kit with a hitch can take as much as an hour to install. But, the chain package and pre-installed U-bolts come assembled. So, installing this hitch and kits will take less time.
- Reliability: From what I have witnessed, EAZ Lift has always been reliable to its customers. So it comes to its 48068 Wight Distribution and Sway Control Kit, I can assure you to go for it.
EAZ LIFT 48059 1,200 lbs Elite Kit Review and Installation Process
2. EAZ LIFT Screw-On Sway Control Kits
The EAZ Lift 48068 is a full-weight distribution hitch with sway control kits. But if you need a separate kit package for your trailer, you can get yourself the EAZ Lift 0224.2014 sway control kits. In my opinion, it is as good as the one mentioned in my previous review.
- Controlled Sway: What I find remarkable about this kit is its unique way of work. The kit helps control the sway of the trailer that can happen from sudden wind or passing vehicles.
- Double Friction Pads: One of the best things EAZ Lift did was adding double friction pads on the bars. It keeps the noise to a minimum so that you can barely hear anything.
- Spring Clip Connectors: When not in use, release the kit with ease using its spring clip connectors. The sockets are built in a way so that connecting and releasing do not become a hassle for you.
- Price: Even sway control kits are often expensive like the weight distribution kits. However, this kit has an affordable price.
Related Post: Top Rated Heavy Duty Air Compressor for Truck Review
3. Pro Series Reese Kit with Sway Control
Everything about the Pro Series Reese 49903 says it is worthy of the best trailer sway control kit. Not just the material, the hitch, and the kits are robust enough to ensure a safe ride with your trailer.
- Pre-Installed Parts: To make the installation process flexible, Pro Series has pre-installed bolts and chains in the package. So you can set up the hitch and kit in a short time.
- Weight Capacity: The sway control helps you carry as much as 10,000 pounds GTW with a 1,000-pound tongue weight. It keeps the trailer movement as little as possible.
- Hardware: And the package comes with all necessary hardware. So you don’t have to purchase anything separately.
- Warranty: This sway control comes with a 10-year extended warranty. If you maintain it regularly, it will last longer than that.
4. Camco Chem ReCurve Kit With Adjustable Sway Control
- GTW And TW: To keep the trailer movement smooth even when it’s overloaded, the 1,000 TW rate will come in handy. Your trailer can carry up to 10,000 pounds weight while the sway control keeps the movements pretty steady.
- Sway Control: Sway control is an essential part of this model. It prevents all types of movement issues even when you are off-road. You can also turn it off when needed.
- Lock Control: You can even lock the trailer to the device for controlling the sway. However, you need to disengage it manually if you need to take a sharp turn.
Related Post: Heavy Duty Side Steps for Jeep Review
5. Husky 37498 Left-Handed Adjustable Sway Control Kit
Customers prefer the Husky 37498 sway control kit for its stability during crosswinds. And judging by what it offers, it is worthy of controlling your trailer’s sway. Besides, the price is also affordable.
- Stability: Most trailers sway a lot even after you have attached the sway control. However, the Husky 37498 ensures the trailer does not sway much, even during the crosswinds.
- Hardware: A complete set of sway control kits include every necessary part. This Husky sway control kit also comes with everything you need, such as tongue ball plates, friction plate, spring clip, 8 screws, crank handle, and sway control balls.
- Left-Handed Model: This is only the left-handed model. If you want, you can purchase both left and right-handed control kits to provide more stability to your trailer.
6. CURT 17200 Trailer Anti-Sway Bar Control Kit
The Curt 17200 sway control kit is another trustworthy name to reduce your trailer’s sway when driving. Other than easy installation, engaging, and disengaging, this bar control is also flexible enough.
- Fits Most Hitches: This model is made to fit any Curt weight distribution hitch. But it can also fit into any weight distribution hitch with a ¾ inches diameter sway ball hole.
- On/Off Handle: This sway control has an On/Off handle for quick engaging and disengaging. To secure the trailer to your vehicle, it also has cotter pins.
- Adjustable Bolts: If you use different trailers, you can adjust them quickly to the sway control. It comes with a bolt adjustment toggle to ensure you get to do that.
Related Post: Heavy Duty Jeep Soft Tops Review
7. CURT 17063 Hitch with Sway Control
If you would rather have a sway control kit as a part of an entire weight distribution hitch set, you may have the Curt 17063 Weight Distribution Hitch with sway control. It has a massive weight capacity, self-lubrication, and a perfect fit for most trailers. Thus, it landed in my best trailer sway control kit list.
- Self-Lubrication: To keep the hitch from getting damaged, Curt made sure it stays lubricated all the time. That’s why they added the self-lubrication system to the hitch.
- Weight Rate: This model is rated with 1,000-1,400 pounds tongue weight. It means it can tow as much as 10,000-14,000 pounds weight.
- Carbic Black Powder Coating: To ensure the hitch and sway control last a long time, they have a coated finish of black carbide powder. It resists corrosion and makes the material more durable.
CURT Trailer Sway Control/Weight Distribution Hitch Review
8. Fastway e2 Sway Control Round Bar Hitch
Spare yourself the extra trouble while installing sway control by having this Fastway e2 Sway Control Round Hitch Bar. And it offers you plenty of options.
- Built-in Sway Control: Fastway makes sure your trailer does not move much and ends up creating a hazard. So, they provided a built-in sway control.
- Different Weight Capacity Models: Depending on your trailer weight capacity, you can choose from 6k to 10k models.
- 10-Year Warranty: It has a 10-year extended warranty, which makes the hitch and sway control more reliable to use.
- Backing Or Turning Without Disengagement: While most hitches require disengagement when backing the vehicle or taking a shard turn, Fastway will not require any of that.
Related Post: Best Useful Remote Car Alarm for Vandalism Review
9. Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control Hitch
If the Fastway e2 2-Point Sway Control impressed you with its five available models, wait till you find out how many this Equal-i-zer has for you. It is one of the best trailer towing hitch that comes with sway control.
- 4-Point Sway Control: There are four unique friction areas on the hitch. They are built for carrying weight without any issue.
- No Backing Up Restriction: With its excellent stability, you won’t have to go through any hassle to back up or turn the vehicle.
- 400-1,600 Tongue Weight: There are six different models available for the various weight limits. You can carry trailers weighing between 4,000-16,000 GTW.
10. Blue Ox BXW1000 SWAYPRO Weight Distributing Hitch
The last one on my list is the Blue Ox BX1000 SwayPro Weight Distribution Hitch. It’s an expensive model, but the quality and how it works make up the price.
- Pre-Added Hitch Head: What I liked more about this hitch is that it comes with a pre-added head. It means no more fine-tuning is needed.
- No Noise: There will be no jiggling, vibrating, or noise with this hitch and sway control. Because it successfully holds the trailer with enough stability.
- Waterproof Hitch: Ride with your trailer in any weather condition. The hitch is waterproof, which will also help to keep it corrosion-free.
Related Post: Heavy Duty Car Seat for Tacoma Covers Review
Best Trailer Sway Control Kit Buying Guide
Sometimes, the reviews are not enough to find a suitable trailer sway kit. Because the same features will not fit all sway control devices. There are more factors that you need to consider.
You need to check its weight capacity, sway control, safety, durability, and more. This buyer’s guide will make sure you can choose the kits with ease.
From my experience, I’ll suggest to you one thing: always pay attention to this feature. It is an essential and a must-consider factor. The hitch or sway control must be compatible with the trailer weight.
Two things to consider for the load capacity:
- GTW (Gross Trailer Weight)
- TW (Tongue Weight)
Your trailer’s maximum weight on the kit is gross trailer weight. And the trailer’s downward force on the hitch is tongue weight. The TW will be around 10-20 percent of the GTW. Anything larger than this will cause the head system to go upward.
So, know your trailer’s load capacity and tongue capacity to understand what sway control kit you will need. And always purchase a kit that is made to compete with more than your trailer’s GTW.
The whole point of buying a sway control kit is to control the movement of the trailer. Taking a sharp turn will become hectic and dangerous if the kit does not have a sway control feature.
This system is of two types:
- One reduces the sway as it happens
- Another stop the sway before it happens
Both of these systems work well. So, you can go with what seems best to you.
Ease Of Installation
If you are new to this, I have to warn you here. Because installing a sway control kit is not the easiest thing to do. It requires understanding several things.
Buying a kit that comes with a bunch of tools will make the installation even trickier. The trick is to buy the models that come with fewer tools. It will not exactly make the process easier, but it will eliminate some extra hassles.
Some brands tend to provide assembled pre-installation parts. Having them makes the installation process a little more comfortable and quick. The entire process should not take more than 30-40 minutes.
Ease Of Use
Easy to install and easy to use are two significant factors that go side by side. You are going to drive your vehicle everywhere in any weather condition.
Kits with double cam are more flexible to use because you won’t have to disengage them after use. Besides, backing up will be flexible, and you will get better control over them.
How safe should your sway control kit be? Well, it should be very safe because you will be carrying heavy loads on your trailer. So, check how much weight the kit is capable of carrying.
And if there is a safety chain available, you will know it is more reliable. More importantly, if the chain’s tension is adjustable, the better control it will have on the sway.
Sway control kits do not come at a low price. If the kit isn’t durable, it means going through more trouble and spending more money. Replacing it is one hell of a job. So, the more durable it is, the less you have to replace it and the less trouble you will have to go through.
But how would you know which ones are durable? My experience taught me to pay attention to the material and purchase the ones with anti-corrosion features.
Sway control or weight distribution hitch comes in a wide price range. However, the best one will not come cheap. Depending on the material and type, the cost will vary.
Nevertheless, you can always find something at your budget price. And as long as you are happy with it and as long as it is safe to use.
Types Of Sway Control
Not every weight distribution hitch comes with sway control. However, many of them do. As I’ve given you the primary idea on the buying guide, you will find two types of sway controls.
One reduces the sway, and the other prevents it altogether. Here, I will explain these two types even further.
1. Sway Control That Reduces Sway After It Begins
Here the sway control works in two ways:
- Independent sway control
- Dependent sway control
The independent sway control works via the bars that are bolted to the trailer frame. The bolts reduce excessive movements of the trailer.
On the other hand, dependent sway controls are built on the weight distribution hitch. The most significant advantage of this system is that the downward force will create resistance as the trailer begins to move.
2. Sway Control That Prevents Sway Before It Begins
This type of sway control has cams. This device suspends and locks the spring bars in place. The two ends of the cams will be attached to two different things.
One will be attached to the lift bracket using the lift chain, while the other to the trailer’s frame. Thus, this system secures the trailer and prevents swaying.
FAQ’s About Trailer Sway Control Kit
Do I Need A Trailer Sway Control?
If you have a trailer and want it to stay stable when you drive, my answer is yes. Having a sway control is the best piece of equipment that you will have. Without it, the trailer will keep moving from one side to another, resulting in an accident.
How Would I Know If The Trailer Is Overloaded?
Look at the way the trailer is standing. If the trailer is leaning at the front or if the suspension seems sagging, you will know it carries more weight than it should have.
How Much Trailer Sway Is Normal?
If the tongue weight is less than 10%, the trailer will sway a little. But you will hardly notice that. Unless it does not move a lot, it shouldn’t be a problem.
Can I Reduce Trailer Sway Without A Sway Control?
Without a proper weight distribution hitch or sway control, it is challenging to reduce the sway. However, there are a few hacks to keep the trailer movements to a minimum.
One trick is to drive slowly when the wind is strong. Another one is to avoid crosswinds if possible. Other than these, a hitch is the best option.
How to Install Trailer Sway Control Kit (DIY Video)
Choosing the best trailer sway control kit from the available options is challenging enough. But, since I’ve narrowed down the numbers with my reviews, it will be easier for you to pick now. However, if you are still unsure, I can make a few last recommendations.
EAZ Lift 48068 and Pro Series Reese 49903 are the best options for small and medium trailers, in my opinion. From my experience, I’ve found these two models lasting a long time without much hassle. And, if you have larger trailers that carry more weight, you can choose from the Fastway e2 2-Point Sway Control Hitch and the Equal-i-zer 4-Point Sway Control Hitch.
And do not forget to know your truck’s weight and everything else there is to know before you purchase your sway control kit. Go through the buying guide one more time if you have to.